Wednesday, December 17, 2008

human textings

In the past couple years it seems to me that there are more and more "human textings" running around everywhere and fewer and fewer "human beings." Many people continuously tap at the keypads of their phones in all social situations. Yesterday, I found a human being : ) This is the first time in quite a while that I've been on a date in which someone actually put his phone aside and spent time with me...what a treat!

A few months back, I made a decision to stop using text messages--one of my most freeing decisions ever. Here's a question for anyone and everyone who might wish to respond....

Is it too much to ask that you turn your cell phone off completely and spend a bit of time with JUST me?

Here's another question.....

Has this entire post turned into a whiny rant?

Yet another....

How do you feel about someone texting (or answering the phone) in the middle of your face to face conversation with him/her? Do you feel good, bad, or indifferent to such an occurence?

I will eventually read comments but more than likely will not respond to them in writing. I think that they will somehow be on the blog, but this is all new to me, so I guess I'll see what happens.

3 comments:

TulsaTruthTV said...

I hate it when people are texting while you are out on a date. Now that I have a serious girlfriend if she texts it is usually something pertinent to the evening and I am part of the text convo, this does not bother me. But random texting out with anyone can get annoying fast.

Liz said...

So, Eric! You are now a blogger! I cannot stand it when people text or answer the phone when I am with them...as in "spending time" with them. I was just thinking of writing my own blog about this same thing! I feel very unimportant when my "date" (whether it be my husband or a friend) texts while we are together.

Dana Stanton said...

My co-worker (Rae) was conducting a one-on-one training next door to my office yesterday. After the training Rae came in and asked, "Is it considered rude if the person you are training constantly sends and receives text messages during the training?" My answer was, "YES IT IS!!!". My husband has had the same thing happen to him - students who are texting during appointments with him (their supervisor). Of course Andy isn't as nice as my friend Rae and boots them out the door!

I do blog and I am a fan of Facebook - I like the aspect of being able to easily reconnect and communicate with my family and friends. That being said I REFUSE to be tied to a cell-phone. I don't have one - don't want one. I have never sent a text message in my life. I like it that, if I want, I am able to disconnect from the world and be by myself or just with my family.